The Dailies. July 2, 2020
Did you work on your language today? Create any new rules of grammar or syntax? New progress on a script? New words in your lexicon?
On the other hand, do any excavating or reading or enjoying stuff you’ve already created? Do you have any favorites to share?
How did you conlang today?0
2 thoughts on “The Dailies. July 2, 2020”
Well, today I decided to try to replace the entire FSM part of WordGen/cpp, and that went almost nowhere because it turns out I have a migraine today, just without the pain. But the plan was to implement some of the things I said I planned to do on here in a comment from like a year ago that I partially forgot about. At least I’m still working on it and haven’t broken my stride with it just yet.
My suspicion is that the reason the FSMs aren’t working is because of a difference in Unicode handling between Python and the C++ libraries I’m using, but I haven’t figured out the specifics. There’s nothing obviously wrong with them, they compile and run without errors, but they just don’t seem to do anything, suggesting that it’s an issue with the rule-matching. (If no rules match, the default rule is chosen, which, if not otherwise defined by the user, just writes the input as is directly to the output. Thus if rule-matching always fails, then the FSM would become a no-op, and a reason it might fail is Unicode, which is very complex and my code is probably not sufficient for it. Or it could be something else too.)
I would quite like it if I had any users of WordGen besides myself, to provide design feedback, because I fear that it may only make sense to myself due to compounding idiosyncrasies from years of development.
It turns out that that issue actually was simply that I forgot to return the data that I had transformed, and instead returned the input unmodified. And all the other bugs were similar, things like != instead of == or just things I’d forgotten to actually write at all. So, now, it can generate (questionably grammatical) English sentences!
And so on. Before I started working on it yesterday, it would instead produce: